As promised earlier, the recipe for the AWESOME soup we’re having this evening.
Taken directly from Mother Earth News, it was the perfect answer to the question, “What do I do with Kale?” Particularly if you’re like us and don’t care for Kale chips…
“Kale/Potato/White Bean Soup
- 1 pound Turkey or Chicken sausage, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 3 cups chopped red potatoes (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 cups coarsely chopped Kale leaves, tough stems removed
- 1/2 tablespoon snipped fresh Rosemary
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, rinsed, drained (or dry beans precooked)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 Cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese for garnish (optional)
- Brown sausage 3 to 5 minutes in large pot or Dutch Oven. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes, or until onions are limp. drain any excess fat from pot.
- Add chicken stock, potatoes, carrots, celery, and thyme. Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered for 15 to 20 minutes, or until potatoes and carrots are near tender. Add kale, rosemary, and white beans. Cook 5 minutes more, or until carrots and potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls and garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
The soup was delicious, and went well with a Widmer Hefeweizen, though admittedly, there isn’t much that it doesn’t go well with, but it also paired well with an Angry Orchard Crisp Apple.
…Give it a shot, Kale’s good for you, I promise.